Spencer HARRIS – Candidate Statement
My name is Spencer Harris I am 44 years old, married to Jeni with 3 children and work for a major blue chip company leading European wide projects on their behalf. I have been a season ticket holder for almost 25 years and have been coming to the Racecourse since the late 1970’s.
I have been a member of the WST since its conception and was part of the beer-a-week scheme prior to the WST. As a member of the WST Board for the last 9 years I have had the opportunity to utilise my skills, knowledge and experience to aid both the Trust and Wrexham AFC Ltd including:
• Being part of the WST ‘bid team’ which negotiated and secured the future of Wrexham AFC [including negotiation, liaising with National League officials, council representatives and Glyndwr University, media and legal transfer of employees from Wrexham 2006 Ltd to Wrexham AFC Ltd]
• Serving as a Director of Wrexham AFC Ltd since November 2011 on behalf of the Trust and its membership, I am involved in many aspects of running the business including but not limited to:
o Board governance
o People processes such as handling employment relationships, recruitment and leavers processes for the business
o Line Manager for the Football Department since November 2016
• Enabling Wrexham AFC to be legal & compliant from an employment perspective [having written over 40 policies for Wrexham AFC Ltd]
• Having built the annual business cycle of activity for Wrexham AFC Ltd, I produce all agendas on behalf of the directors for board meetings and chair the meetings on their behalf
• In addition during the last 3 years I have been involved in securing the Racecourse Ground through the Wrexham Supporters Trust gaining effective ownership through a 99 year lease and leading the TUPE transfer of Glyndwr employees into Wrexham AFC
• I have recently led the procurement exercise for Wrexham AFC training facilities resulting in the acquisition of a licence agreement with Wrexham Council for the Nine Acre site
I am a frequent volunteer in other aspects of the club in addition to being a Director, such examples include being a member of the Build The Budget committee and recently being assistant referee at the ‘Red for a day’ games at the Racecourse.
I am a Welsh speaker having learnt the language when in my 20’s and I handle all the Welsh language media (both television and radio) on behalf of Wrexham AFC. If re-elected to the WST Board I will be seeking to continue to moving the club towards our goal of ‘becoming the club that unites half a nation’.
I am a fervent supporter of fans ownership at Wrexham AFC as I believe this is the model which is best placed to serve the interests of the club, its supporters and the North Wales and Marches communities. We gain significant competitive advantage through this model due to the skills of the volunteers who continue to move the club forwards and the generosity of supporters who have injected circa £1million of share capital into the club since 2011.
I have a Masters degree from Oxford Brookes University in Coaching & Mentoring and if elected again to represent WST members I will use my experience to help facilitate an effective Trust Board working together to deliver the member resolutions.
Spencer Harris ydwf i, a gobeithiaf ennill eich cefnogaeth yn yr etholiad yma. Mae’n bwysig bod yr Ymddiridolaeth Cefnogwyr Wrecsam yn dangos y ffordd ymlaen wrth gynyddu’r defnydd o Gymraeg o gwmpas y Cae Ras. Yn ystod y tair blynedd diwethaf rwyf wedi gyflwyno’r defnydd o Gymraeg yn y Cae Ras ar ddiwrnodau gem. Os fydda i’n llwyddianus mi weithiaf yn galed i sicrhau cynydd yn y defnydd o Gymraeg yn y clwb.
Nominated by Jeni Harris and Phil Salmon